I remember seeing somewhere an ad for software that would have 2 panes, one of which would display the html that was in the other pane. However, I cannot find such a software now. does anybody know of such a thing?

  • 1
    You mean like using the inspector built into most web browsers now?
    – user142485
    Aug 31, 2012 at 21:29
  • No, more like the opposite of that.
    – aaazalea
    Aug 31, 2012 at 21:50
  • 1
    If you open your document in the browser you can edit it live as suggested in your accepted answer.
    – user142485
    Aug 31, 2012 at 21:57

2 Answers 2


There are many, such software are commonly known as HTML Editor.

  • Adobe Dreamweaver and Microsoft Expression Web are two such software (both are proprietary)

  • CoffeeCup HTML Editor

  • You can use Firebug, it allows you to edit HTML live, its free and its is very popular among web developers.

  • You can also use Online tools such as HTML Tester, but they have limited functionality. (You can't easily work with Images and other assets on online editors)

  • See a detailed List of HTML Editors.

Adobe Dreamweaver is an industry standard in this area, although expensive.

If you have a large enough screen (or even two screens) you can position your favourite text editor next to your browser and just hit F5 periodically to Refresh the browser window.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .