I have a couple of Tripplite UPS systems.

The power in cables are bright orange and about 2 meters in length. I want to put the system on the other side of the room but for some reason the UPS keep "going off" over there.

So I guess the wall power sockets on that side of the room are a little dodgy.

So i figured Id just go online and get some replacement UPS power IN (from wall to UPS) cables of an appropriate length. But i cant find any anywhere. (auction sites, tripplite store, cable websites).

So now I'm wondering if that's just because you can use a standard extension cord of an appropriate wattage?

I thought the UPS power IN cables were "special". Is that not so?

  • Just use a good extension cord that's of a heavy gauge wire. What makes you think the power cables are "special"? They're just carrying electricity from your wall. :) – Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007 Sep 25 '12 at 3:13
  • Yep, a good, heavy-duty extension cord. Basically, unless these units are monsters, an 18-gauge cord could handle them, but I'd recommend you get at least a 16-gauge and maybe 14-gauge. You want 3-prong extensions of the type that might be used for power tools. – Daniel R Hicks Sep 25 '12 at 3:16
  • What do you mean when you say the UPS keeps "going off"? Are you tripping a circuit breaker? You need an extension cord that rated for the load, but that's so it doesn't get too hot and cause a fire. Having an undersized extension cord shouldn't cause the UPS to shut itself off. – Nicole Hamilton Sep 25 '12 at 3:39

You need to get one appropriately rated for the maximum draw the UPS can handle. An "air conditioner" extension cord should be enough for medium-size UPSes, but always check the specs yourself to be sure.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.