I've been asked to "re-key" my copy of MS Office 2007 to use a different product key. Is this possible? If so, how would I do it?
Microsoft offers the answer to this question here. It applies to earlier versions of Microsoft Office as well.
- Close all Office programs.
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following subkey, depending on your version of Windows and of Office:
2007 Office system HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Registration Office 2003 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Registration Office XP HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Registration
2007 Office system HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Registration Office 2003 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Registration Office XP HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Registration
Export the Registration subkey
- You can make a backup of the values under the Registration subkey if the new product key does not work. To do this, follow these steps:
- Right-click the Registration subkey, and then click Export.
- In the Save in list, select a location to save the registration entries.
- In the File name box, type a name for the .reg file that you want to export, and then click Save.
Under the Registration subkey, there may be several Globally Unique Identifiers (GUID) that contain a combination of alphanumeric characters. Each GUID is specific to a program that is installed on your computer.
Click a GUID. Then, view the version of Office that is listed in the right pane for the Productname registry entry. After you find the GUID that contains the version of your Office program, follow these steps:
- Right-click the DigitalProductID registry entry, click Delete, and then click Yes.
- Right-click the ProductID registry entry, click Delete, and then click Yes.
Open an Office program, such as Microsoft Word. When you receive a message that prompts you for the product key, type the correct product key, and then click OK.
among many other features:
View/Change MS Office Key
Support for MS Office 2007
Easy Way: Run this Microsoft Fixit and reopen any Office 2007 application. Enter key when prompted