Is there an easy way in Microsoft Word 2010 to make words appear like keystrokes the way we can here in Superuser?

Something like this: Ctrl + V

I know that <kbd> is an HTML tag, but in normal HTML that just switches to a fixed-width font. In fact, that's how Word treats it if you paste something from SU into a Word doc:

Pasted into Word

If there's not a standard way to do this in Word, is there a free font that might accomplish the same thing? I thought I'd seen some before but couldn't find any at the regular places I find fonts (dafont.com, fontspace.com).

  • 1
    This is what I get when I copy from Chrome and paste in Word 2010: i.stack.imgur.com/fxLi4.png – Der Hochstapler Oct 15 '12 at 18:33
  • Is that formatted text (that, for example, can be part of a sentence, and moves when the sentence moves) or is it an image? – Scott Oct 15 '12 at 20:51
  • @Scott It appears that it is actual text. I used Firefox for my example, but when I tried it in Chrome it does copy the formatting pretty close. Technically it's just adding grey borders, as was suggested in the accepted answer, but it does work. – techturtle Oct 16 '12 at 2:33
  • @techturtle: Sorry; that question was meant for Oliver. My mistake; I didn’t address it properly. – Scott Oct 18 '12 at 22:44
  • @Oliver: In your example (copying from Chrome and pasting into Word 2010) — is that formatted text (that, for example, can be part of a sentence, and moves when the sentence moves) or is it an image? – Scott Oct 18 '12 at 22:44

Or, if you’d prefer not to download a font, do it in Word.  Just select the text and format Borders (and, optionally, Shading): screen snapshot showing text formatted with Borders and Shading

| improve this answer | |
  • 3
    I can't believe I didn't think of this before. I just tried it out, setting a space before and after each word/character and then used the "shadow" border in word and it looks awesome. Definitely going to use this one again in the future. – techturtle Oct 16 '12 at 2:32
  • Could @techturtle's addition of using the shadow border and spacing be integrated into the answer? It's a fantastic addition to a fantastic answer, and shouldn't be relegated to a comment. – Ben I. Feb 25 '19 at 17:17

One of these might do the trick:


Also, this one is nice.


| improve this answer | |
  • +1, this type of font is what I've been using for years now. – Karan Oct 15 '12 at 19:33
  • The 2nd one you listed looks great for what I was looking to do this morning when I wrote this question. It's a little weird to work with the extended characters (for Ctrl, etc.) especially when trying to update the font sizes since they come out looking too small compared with the regular fonts. But it worked for what I needed. – techturtle Oct 16 '12 at 2:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.