Is there a "run" command to access the Alt+Tab window switcher in Windows 7?

Ideally, I'd like to re-assign the Alt+Ctrl+Tab persistent app switcher to another, less unwieldy hotkey. I know of AutoHotKey, but it does not work well on my laptop for some reason.

  • Would a (non-AutoHotKey) script that does Alt+Ctrl+Tab solve your problem? – Richard Jan 21 '13 at 11:39
  • On a personal level, I've solved it by assigning a hotkey to a mouse button using the mouse manufacturer's utility. Please feel free to post a solution here for reference. If it's the best here, I'll accept that one – Redandwhite Jan 21 '13 at 11:55

You can do so with the 3D view via

rundll32 DwmApi #105

but there isn't such a thing for the normal Alt+Tab window that I'm aware of.

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    Elaboration: This probably exists as an API call because it was supposed to be triggered by things like mouse drivers or an icon in the task bar (which it was in Windows Vista, as far as I remember). The original Alt+Tab functionality is far older and also controlled by CSRSS which isn't exactly the nicest component to control programmatically from user mode. – Joey Oct 30 '12 at 15:48
  • Great answer! I don't know why this wasnt chosen! is there a similar command for CTRL + TAB? – Kalamalka Kid Apr 7 '17 at 9:56

There is no equivalent "run" command. Alt + Ctrl + Tab is the only way to access this window switcher.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.