How can I block some websites in Windows 8 without using any tools or third party firewalls?

  • 2
    Do you need some form of parental controls? If you do, there is this feature named Family Safety that has extensive features for controlling what your children do on the computer and monitoring their activity. – Corporate Geek Oct 31 '12 at 19:30
  • @CorporateGeek You should be posting that as an answer - it does give a number of fine grained controls, and also works the other way around to editing a hosts - unknown sites can be "blocked by default" and the user can ask for them to be unblocked. – Zhaph - Ben Duguid Nov 7 '12 at 15:26

You can add them to the HOSTS file.

  1. Type note in the Start Screen and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to run Notepad as Administrator.

  2. Open Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

  3. Add somedomain.com to the end of the file.

  4. Save.


If you are admin on a windows pc, and want to limit internet access to another user on your pc, you can look into internet explorer's Content Advisor feature. It allows you to block specific sites, unless a supervisor password is entered. But, one flaw this method has is, if the user has other browsers installed, s/he can access the blocked sites with out a problem. But, you can almost prevent installation of software by putting some more limitations.

See this for FAQ on content advisor.

  • Why the downvote? – Prasanth Oct 31 '12 at 17:19
  • Many browsers can be run w/o install, so not bullet proof. But still an okey solution. – Matsemann Nov 7 '12 at 14:19

This HowToGeek article explains how you can make Windows Defender block certain host files.

It uses Windows Defender's option to Exclude files and locations:

enter image description here

and editing the hosts-file in your C:\Windows\Systerm32\Drivers\etc\hosts folder

enter image description here

Check the article for more details


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.