I recently got a new graphics card but it doesn't have a VGA connector. Is there a way of configuring my PC so that it uses my motherboard's VGA connector instead?

For those wondering, my graphics card only came with an S-Video and a DMS-59 connector, neither of which is compatible with my monitor.

Edit: I wasn't very clear on my original post. Basically, I want to use my new graphics card but it doesn't have any connectors that are compatible with my monitor. Is there a way to use my onboard's VGA connector for display but still have the new GPU do all the graphics processing?

  • I don't believe it is possible to use the an on-board output and have the discrete graphics card do the work. But maybe you can look for an adapter, I think I saw some DMS-59 - 2xVGA cables once. – Xandy Nov 8 '12 at 23:05

You have two options:

  1. Buy an adapter

  2. Remove the card and use your onboard card.

  • You should do #1, especially if plan on playing games / doing GPU intensive stuff. – Gant Nov 9 '12 at 11:29

There should be an option in the BIOS for which display to use first - onboard or AGP/PCI/etc. Try changing that and see what happens.

  • Well I still want to use my new graphics card, it just doesn't have a connector that's compatible with my monitor. So, I was wondering if I could use my onboard graphics card's connector but still have the new GPU do all the processing. – Walker Nov 8 '12 at 22:39
  • It might be possible to offload things like video transcoding to the card if it supports it, but I don't know of any way to do what you're asking (actually, I do remember with some 3D cards circa 1996 you'd connect the vga output of your standard or onboard graphics to the 3D card, then plug the output of that to your monitor. But I don't think you can do that here. Get an adapter for your card. – askvictor Nov 8 '12 at 23:07

You did not specify which graphics card you got. However in many cases you can not use the graphics processing of the new card and still use the on-board connector. Either you use the on-board connector and the on-motherboard or on-APU's processing power, or you use one of the connectors on the new graphics card and the new cards graphics processing power.

In your case: Use the old on-board connector, then check the manual it your new graphical card supports either DMS-59 to 2x DSUB (as in the image below) or DMS-59 to something else which you can convert to an analog Dsub signal.


Technically an other alternative it to replace the monitor. The VGA standstand itself is ancient. It is from 1987. Since then it has been replaced on most (non-elcheapo) monitors by DVI. And DVI has already been replaced by DisplayPort and HDMI


Looking at your edit, no, you can't "pipe" your cards output to your onboard VGA. You'll need to get an adapter.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.