I have a spreadsheet with multiple columns and over 4000 rows. I need to sort, then alphabetize my report and everytime I do, there are 43 rows that do not sort with the rest of the report; they go to the top or bottom of the report and are alphabetized as a separate group. I've tried deleting them and re-entering them and trying all over to get them to alphabetize with the rest of the report but they continue to stay separate. Why is this happening? Any help will be appreciated.
I just encountered a similar issue. The answer ended up being that some of my cells in the sort column were entered as text, and some were vlookups from another page. The cells with vlookup formulas were not sorting properly either through a filter or through a sort. I copied the spreadsheet and pasted as values over the top of it and it sorted properly after that (although I lost they dynamic nature of the lookups.
If you've reentered the data it is likely you've gotten rid of blanks. It is possible the rows are not included in the sort because they are not selected. If those 43 rows are not included in the sort grouping, they will not be sorted in the order you choose and will appear in their own group. Verify they are being included and retry the sort.
Also, make sure you don't have another conflicting sort or filter which is causing your issue.
You've not told us what type of data you are using. Mixed data can cause all kinds of issues with sorting. If it is mixed, it should be formatted as text. Here is more info about how to troubleshoot sorting.
My data had been copied to a new worksheet, and then at some point copied again. There were no visible filters and it sorted correctly until I added two rows of data. At that point, unless I sorted from elsewhere in the worksheet instead of from the headers, it missed two rows. I finally went to the Advanced filers dialog box and saw that a range had been entered at some point and it carried over, even though there was no remaining filter. Baffling. When I updated the range to include my two additional rows, it sorted correctly. I cannot clear the Advanced filter setting, so have learned to work with it as I add rows. I believe if I copied the data to another worksheet without the headers, I might solve the problem. An experiment for another time.
I had this problem and after check for leading spaces and getting rid of the filters, I finally solved it by copying the non-sorting cells and paste special them as "unformatted text" into Word and then copying and pasting them back into Excel. No idea how they picked up some kind of un-sortable formatting as they appeared normal.