How can I see the page-relative pixel coordinates (x,y) of the cursor while viewing a PDF? A solution for Windows, OS X, or Ubuntu is fine.

I know this can be done in Photoshop, but I don't own Photoshop, so I'm looking for another solution.

closed as off-topic by Ben N, DavidPostill, Kenneth L, Steven, mdpc Feb 18 '16 at 1:32

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions seeking product, service, or learning material recommendations are off-topic because they become outdated quickly and attract opinion-based answers. Instead, describe your situation and the specific problem you're trying to solve. Share your research. Here are a few suggestions on how to properly ask this type of question." – Ben N, DavidPostill, Steven
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


I don't know about PDF readers specifically.

However a couple of general solutions:

Windows: autohotkey has tools for pulling window relative coordinates so one just needs to negate toolbars etc.

Linux: On X11 systems a tool called Xev is available that displays all X11 events including cursor movement and it can be told to be limited to a particular window ID gained via xwininfo.

  • I guess the problem with those solutions is that it is not very robust. If I write a tool to help extract that info, other people would need the same settings as me to use it. – Wesley Tansey Dec 12 '12 at 20:32
  • Depends, without knowing more of exactly what you want the data for? – ewanm89 Dec 13 '12 at 0:13
  • I have several PDFs that are just image scans of forms. I have all the data necessary to auto-complete the forms, but I need to first find the pixel location of each field so that my autocomplete app knows where to write the data. Right now, it's just trial and error which is slow and tedious. – Wesley Tansey Dec 14 '12 at 0:23
  • Are the fields are identical rectangle boxes other than the content in them? – ewanm89 Dec 14 '12 at 0:42
  • No, they're scattered all over the place and of varying sizes and shapes. Imagine a really long health insurance form. Hence, I need a tool to help me quickly identify and write down the bounding areas of each field. – Wesley Tansey Dec 15 '12 at 21:24

A pdf (and ps) viewer that shows cursor coordinates is gsview, but it only runs in windows. So far as I know it is the only one that does that.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.