I am trying to upgrade my RAM of my HP G62-b51SE and found that the stock RAM type is DDR3 PC3-10600S.

I am trying to find the difference between that (PC3-10600S) and PC3-10600.

  • This is my stock ram and i cant find information on ram type pc3-10600S : tinypic.com/r/kx6qo/6 – user1907294 Dec 18 '12 at 3:26
  • maybe it is meant to mean plural. – barlop Dec 18 '12 at 5:25
  • Maybe the S refers to Stock. – deed02392 Jan 23 '14 at 11:21
  • Where did you see "pc3-10600s" exactly? – David Schwartz Jun 30 '14 at 6:43

S stands for SODIMM, meaning the RAM is for laptop.

  • 2
    +1 - For the actual correct answer..! However, if you could edit your link to provide some backup to your statement (a link and a summary of that link), that would be great. – Greenonline Apr 20 '16 at 3:02

Following on from Grace's answer, this link What's the difference between DDR3 1333 MHz PC3-10600S and DDR3 1333 MHz PC3-10600 states:

To answer you actual question correctly. The "S" as in DDR3 10600S for example stands for SO-DIMM which is the size of RAM for Laptops. If you had desktop memory the same RAM would say DDR3 10600. Crucial and other companies have a way of not listing the RAM speed with the "S' because in the title of the RAM you are purchasing it says "SO-DIM' but when you get your RAM it will have the "S" on it if you are buying for a laptop.


Google searches for 598859-001 and 598856-001 as shown as the replacement parts in your picture result in memory of type pc3-10600. I think its just a confusing label on your modules.

  • Even if 10600S is the actual stock type, I'm guessing there is no practical difference. – Louis Waweru Dec 18 '12 at 5:56
  • PC3-10600S would usually indicate registered, synchronous memory. See, for example, here or here. – David Schwartz Jun 30 '14 at 6:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.