This question already has an answer here:
A computer in our household got hit by the FBI "ransomware" virus.
Here are details of what happened (Win 7 Home Premium):
- Family member was in a forum.
- AVG Free (which was up-to-date) warned of an attack.
- An Adobe Flash install popped up.
- Windows UAC popped up confirming Flash install.
- We answered No/Cancelled to each Flash install prompt. But it (and UAC dialog) wouldn't go away. Both would pop back up after clicking No or Cancel.
- We restarted the computer (Start -> Restart) without ever answering Yes to the Flash install. -On reboot the FBI Ransomware screen displayed and we were sunk.
We tried booting into Safe Mode but the ransom screen STILL appeared. Yes, even in Safe Mode.
Was hoping there'd be a list of instructions with quick steps for removing this virus. Thought I found it with How to remove FBI Moneypak ransomware? but that question was marked as a duplicate with redirect to How can I remove malicious spyware, malware, adware, viruses, trojans or rootkits from my PC? which contains loads of general techniques for malware removal --many very involved and impractical if you're trying to get back up FAST. (If that's possible.)
Is there any set of instructions for what to do to remove this specific ransomware infection, including not being able to boot to Safe Mode?