When I play a movie with external subtitles, VLC shows all subtitles in italic and/or bold, depending on font - I tested:
- Arial, Times New Roman: everything appears italic, regardless of whether it's marked with
<b>-marked text appears bold+italic.
- Tahoma, Calibri, Cambria: everything appears bold, regardless of whether it's marked with
<i>-marked text appears bold+italic.
- Georgia: everything appears bold+italic, regardless of
- Garamond, Verdana: all text appears correctly.
- VLC 2.1.1 on Windows 8.1 (ever since VLC 2.0.5 on Windows 8)
- Subtitles default encoding is set to
Default (Windows-1252), happens regardless to encoding
- Happens with all .srt subtitles
- I've tried to disable formatted subtitles, in both "Kate overlay decoder" (WTH is that anyways) and "Text subtitles decoder". It disables formatting - but the default style still happens, according to the font (example: Arial - everything is italic).
- I don't have font problems outside of VLC subtitles.