I'm using a Dell Studio laptop which has volume up/down hotkeys. On pressing these, I want a volume OSD to popup to show my current volume status just like in OSX; that is, just like:

OSX Volume

Anybody know any solution that would work on Arch Linux?


Apparently, people don't read what others say. If you said Linux, that certainly doesn't mean Windows :)

Try this interesting project: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=132218 Volnoti is not so straight forward as those windows candies, but arch linux folks are amazing in terms of help - so, on that forum thread, you'll find all instructions, and configuration scripts that need to be written in order to have this running.

good luck

| improve this answer | |
  • Aha! This seems quite useful. Many thanks! At least I have access to the source in case I'm not happy with it. – Anish Ramaswamy Sep 18 '14 at 22:10

Also you can look Volume²

Volume² is an advanced Windows volume control, a complete replacement for the standard Volume Control. This application lets you easily change the sound volume just by rotating the mouse wheel or by using keyboard hot keys or just mouse move on screen border. It includes an audio mixer with advanced volume controls support, a scheduler, an on-screen display, command line support, the ability to store and recall different unlimited presets via one mouse click or system-wide hot keys. Support many languages such as: English, Russian, Greek, Armenian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian, Belorussian, German, Serbian, Portuguese, Armenian, Spanish, Japanese, Swedish, Slovak, French, Italian, Latvian, Polish, Hungarian, Chines(trad), Chines(sim), Arabic.

| improve this answer | |
  • I guess I must be more specific. I want something that works on Arch Linux. From the link, it looks like it works on Windows only! I thought the tags in my question implied this, but oh well. – Anish Ramaswamy Oct 30 '13 at 18:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.