Few days back one of my keyboard key('O') came out, and I can't it intact again. Is there any way to configure another key, or a combination of key to work as a replacement of the lost key?

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 OS.


1 Answer 1


For example, if you want the menu key to function like 'o', you can first create an xmodmap file:

$ xmodmap -pke > ~/.Xmodmap

Open the file and look for the line which contains the mapping for the menu key, something like:

keycode 135 = Menu Insert Menu

You can also start xev, type the menu key and look for the keycode in xev's output. Then, replace everything after the equals sign with the desired mapping, i.e., if you want it to behave like 'o', use something like:

keycode 135 = o O o O

To use the new xmodmap file, type

$ xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

The settings are usually lost after shutdown, however, I'm not sure if Ubuntu somehow loads the .Xmodmap automatically.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .