I need to delete or change at least a shortcut on Windows 8, Win+H for instance.

When I press this combination, I get "Share" charm or whatever this thing is called.

This is useless. I need this combination (and many other key combos) do particular things like typing a command in PuTTY window.

I used AutoHotkey on Windows 7 and it worked great, except on Windows 8 AHK does not seem to override built-in keyboard shortcuts. I can only use Win+some key combination that happens to be free.

So how do I delete this Win+H shortcut?

Another answer on superuser suggested this: http://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/ but this seems to remap entire keys, while I need to delete Win-something shortcut.

  • You can't delete a Windows 8 Shortcut key, you can't even change it.
    – Devid
    Jul 10, 2013 at 11:12
  • Apparently it's possible, I just worked out how to do it, see answer. Jul 10, 2013 at 11:30
  • @Ramhound: Of course, one small thing worth pointing out is that the registry edit will disable all Win-key shortcuts. There's no way to selectively disable just a few of them without third party software.
    – Karan
    Jul 10, 2013 at 18:30
  • @Karan - I didn't fully read the discloser statement....oops
    – Ramhound
    Jul 10, 2013 at 19:05

1 Answer 1


Turns out you CAN override built-in Windows Winkey-something shortcuts by using the current version of AutoHotkey:

Send something{ENTER}
sleep 300

I used older install before apparently, after reinstalling using latest AHK version and rebooting Win-H works when configured in AHK (deleting it from script and reloading script in AHK restores original shortcut, like "Share" for Win-H).

  • yes with additional software it is possible to overite the existing hotkeys in Windows 8, but in my answer above i meant that you can't do it just with Windows 8 settings without additional 3rd party software.
    – Devid
    Jul 10, 2013 at 11:35

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .