My mouse is quite good, but unfortunately the USB wireless receiver is as big as an adult's little finger (pinky). It breaks easily when the laptop is moved. I want a micro receiver and the company does not make those for my model of the mouse.

Okay, I already saw this question and it does not answer my question - Replacement for broken USB transceiver

I searched online and also called the company. I don't think there is a USB replacement for my brand of mouse. So, I have to buy the whole mouse just for the receiver.

Is there any way I could find out how this works and then use the receiver of another mouse by same company or different and then use it with my mouse ?


  • If it's RF and not Bluetooth, it's likely using some manufacturer specific communication. It's likely you'll be able to use a receiver from the same company, but unlikely you could use a different company's.
    – ernie
    Jul 25, 2013 at 15:50
  • Yes, find the specs and frequency of the mouse and sync it to a new receiver that uses the same Jul 25, 2013 at 15:58
  • @ernie - please see the comment below yours.
    – bashboy
    Jul 25, 2013 at 15:58
  • @Raystafarian - Even if it uses the frequency a reciver for Mouse A is unlikely going to work for Mouse B
    – Ramhound
    Jul 25, 2013 at 16:00
  • @Ramhound Right, that's why I mentioned specs. I wasn't disagreeing with you. Sometimes an IR receiver card could work as well. Jul 25, 2013 at 16:07

1 Answer 1


There are no universal RF wireless mouse/keyboard receivers, and a given company's RF wireless/mouse keyboard receiver will not work with another's.

You should get a small USB extender cable, and a length of velcro tape. Cut the velcro tape to fit on the back of the dongle, and find a good spot on the back of laptop lid to put the other half of the tape. This will prevent you from smashing it by accidentally scraping it against a surface.

It won't look too pretty but it'll prevent your dongle from getting broken.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.