I was able to access network PCs by entering \ComputerName in windows explorer. This was working before until I tried it again a while ago (not sure when it stopped working). The error message is:
"Windows cannot access \ComputerName check the spelling of the name, Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose."
When I click Diagnose, it says it cannot identify the problem. But other PCs on the network can still access this computer.
Here are the things I tried:
- Accessing itself using its own computer name (\MyComputerName)
- Using ip address instead of computer name
- Checked that the network adapter's driver is up to date
- Enabling and disabling network discovery
- Pinging the computer name and ip address (its own or other PCs) works fine
- I was able to access the router's console using internet browser. (
- I was able to view another PC running IIS using internet browser using both computer name (
http://OtherPc) and ip address (
- Disabled firewall (windows firewall, no 3rd party firewall installed). Disabled virusscan.
P.S. Internet connection is working fine. The computer is running on windows 7