My Windows 7 (64 bit) PC develops a problem every few days and requires rebooting to fix it.
Symptoms: I will notice that it's running very slowly, the UI can't even keep up with my typing, disk is working way too hard.
I pop up task manager and switch to "processes for all users". The process svchost.exe (one of several with that name) is using nearly all of my available memory.
If I right-click on the process and choose "Go To Services" the following items are highlighted:
Now, I open the Services console and restart each one in order.
WinHttp Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service: instant
Diagnostic Service Host: error:
Windows could not start the Diagnostic Service Host service on Local Computer. Error 5: Access is denied. (I am running Services As Administrator.)
Network Store Interface Service: prompts to re-start many more services:
- HomeGroup Browser
- Network List Service
- Network Location Awareness
- Network Connections
- Remote Desktop Configuration
- Computer Browser
- IP Helper
- DNS Client
- WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service
- DHCP Client
Restarting causes this error: Windows could not stop the Network Store Interface Service service on Local Computer.
Error 1051: A stop control has been sent to a service that other running services are dependent on.
- Network List Service: instant. Also restarts HomeGroup Provider.
- Windows Font Cache Service: instant
- Function discovery Provider Host: instant. Also restarts Home Group Provider.
- COM+ Event System: instant. also re-starts dependent services:
- Symantec Management Client
- System Event Notification Service
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service
So, after some services successfully restarting and a couple failing to, the memory/performance situation is the same.
Please let me know if there are any other diagnostic steps I can take to get more information about this problem. Thanks very much for your help!