I'm trying to write the degree/grade (°) symbol in Firefox so I can write °C, for example, but each time I press Alt + 0176 doesn't work since Firefox has Alt + any number as keybindings for changing tabs, so another method is desirable. How do I do this?

  • I'm currently on Firefox 24, and it lets me write ° symbol with Alt+0176 (as you see, I have typed it)... So, I'm not sure, but maybe update will help you?
    – Jet
    Oct 15, 2013 at 17:57
  • 1
    @JukkaK.Korpela super user is for anyone, using any OS, be it Linux or Windows. It has everything to do with Firefox, as I'm trying to use firefox to do this.
    – Braiam
    Oct 15, 2013 at 18:07
  • @JukkaK.Korpela I'd refresh your knowledge on the tour page, about what's on topic or not Oct 15, 2013 at 18:07
  • Whatever Superuser is for, the question was grossly misleading (it did not mention Linux at all), and it still is, since Firefox is not the issue here. The issue is system-dependent input methods, but the question (and the poster’s own answer) seriously obscures this. If you want to ask how to do something in Linux, be my guest, but please don’t present it as a Firefox problem, and please make it clear from the start what you are asking about. Oct 15, 2013 at 18:20
  • @JukkaK.Korpela I edited the answer before your comment to add that in Linux you can use Unicode. Your principal problem was with "heavily system dependent" methods, which it was the specific reason why I didn't tell what OS I was using so anyone (be it windows, *NIX, OSX) could answer the question. This is done on proupose so many answers could be given for any OS. Your first comment in my answer states so, for that reason I had to downvote yours since as same as mine isn't platform independient. There are no wrong answers, just different aproaches depending the OS.
    – Braiam
    Oct 15, 2013 at 18:45

3 Answers 3


To do this in any major platform:

  1. Open your system character palette:
    • Windows: Start > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map or Win+R, charmap, Enter
    • OS X: Option+Command+T or Edit > Special Characters...
    • Linux:
      • Gnome: Launch gucharmap
      • KDE: Launch kcharselect
  2. Find the desired symbol
  3. Copy and Paste into application at desired location.

Other, less tedious methods include:

  • Option+Shift+8 on OS X
  • Compose,O,O on systems with Compose-key support (Linux, Windows with a custom keyboard)

If Alt number has been taken (naughty!), then you can try the Alt + code method (where code is the Unicode number in hex), i.e. Alt + B 0. But quite often it does not work; it would then require a change to Windows registry. Then I guess you would need to install a separate program for typing characters, or maybe a suitable keyboard layout.

  • Alt + B calls the bookmarks, so it doesn't work and it isn't platform independient.
    – Braiam
    Oct 15, 2013 at 18:03
  • The Windows registry doesn't solve an issue in Linux Oct 15, 2013 at 18:13
  • 2
    This answer was based on the original question, which did not mention Linux at all and strongly implied Windows. (Why would anyone even try Alt 0176 on other systems?) Oct 15, 2013 at 18:22
  • @JukkaK.Korpela - You should provide what registry changes are require, to make this solution work, since incomplete without those directions.
    – Ramhound
    Oct 16, 2013 at 13:47
  • Added link for the info. This question should be closed, however. The formulation of the question, including its title, is grossly misleading. The topic is important, and therefore it would deserve a well-formulated question, with answers that address the same question. Oct 16, 2013 at 14:07

Fortunately, in Linux you can type it in Unicode format:

  • In Unicode it is encoded at U+00B0 ° degree sign, so press Ctrl + Shift + U, then type 00B0 and press enter or space, then you get the symbol.
  • If what you want is the celsius degrees symbol (℃) you can use Ctrl + Shift + U, then type 2103 same as above.

For now the best to use is the degree symbol alone so it allows you to use F, K or for angular degrees, etc.

  • 1
    Things like Ctrl Shift U are heavily system-dependent and probably don’t do anything useful in Windows, which is where Alt 0176 works. The character U+2103 is not recommended in Unicode. The degree sign “°” has not been part of the correct symbol for the kelvin (K) for decades. Oct 15, 2013 at 17:24
  • @JukkaK.Korpela But it doesn't work in firefox, in any OS I've tried, if you could try I invite you to do so. Also, as you can read in my question Alt + 0176 do NOT work and this method solves my question.
    – Braiam
    Oct 15, 2013 at 17:29
  • 1
    Since Alt 0176 is specifically a Windows method, it was grossly misleading to ask about it without telling that you are working with Linux. There was no reason to even try Alt 0176 then. Besides, in different Linux distributions, different methods need to be used. Oct 15, 2013 at 17:37

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .