Somehow the spaces in my "Word" document started being replaced by dots:

dots in words

How can I switch it back?

1 Answer 1


Sounds like you've turned on "show formatting".

Ctrl+* (control-shift-8) should hide the formatting marks.


  • The keyboard combination for toggling “Show formatting” is basically Ctrl Shift 8. Depending on the keyboard, this could also be described as Ctrl * or something else; on my keyboard for example, it’s Ctrl (. You can alternatively click on the “¶” symbol in the user interface (its placement varies by Word version). Oct 16, 2013 at 14:02

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .