I have a laptop that is a couple years old, and noticed a port on the side that I don't recognize. It is small and looks like a USB mini jack, and has a symbol next to it that looks like a computer monitor with two bars next to it.

enter image description here

Does anyone know what this port is, and what's it's for?

  • It looks like displayport. Only about 80% sure though. – Jon Nov 4 '13 at 15:31
  • @chipperyman573 Displayport is bigger, I thought. And wouldn't it have that funky "+P" logo? – user201262 Nov 4 '13 at 15:32
  • 1
    I would guess, that it is bespoke to the laptop. Did the laptop come with any external devices? It looks likes a USB 2.0 Type B... Any way, telling us the make and model will help :)... Although it really does look like a VGA port! – Dave Nov 4 '13 at 15:33
  • 8
    Have you looked at the user manual or on the manufacturer's web site? If you give us the brand and model might help us find it. – CharlieRB Nov 4 '13 at 15:37
  • 4
    This question appears to be off-topic because it is a "guessing-game" type question. See meta.superuser.com/a/6074/23133 – Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007 Jan 31 '14 at 21:13

I found it in the manual (laptop is a Lenovo U510). I should have looked there first!

It is a Mini-VGA port.

enter image description here


This is a Mini-DVI port. Here is a drawing of some common display port types:

Display interface connections



It is a mini VGA port. Even looking at the connectors you can see it could fit.