An ad titled "Two friends who've never met" recently appeared on my girlfriend's Skype. The ad appears above the name of the contact she is currently speaking to and can't be disabled via the ad options build into Skype. How can we disable this ad?
The ad looks like this:
Things we have tried:
- Tried unchecking "Help and Skype tips" and "Promotions" under "Alerts & messages" in the options menu.
- Tried changing the language file per Primemover's answer here
B. Rename The English language file. Procedure listed below;
- Click Tools >> Change Language >> Edit Skype Language File...
- The Skype - Language File Editor window will open, click the Save As button
- Enter Standard English as filename , Save it on your desktop or in any folder you want.
- Click Tools >> Change Language >> Load Skype Language File..., then browse and select the Standard English language file.
- Restart Skype Again, this suggestion though proven to be working, is not from, suggested, or endorsed by Skype or any of its staff. So try at your own risk. This method should only be used, if and only if, those advertisements are seriously affecting your interest in using the Skype client.
- Tried downgrading to Skype version 6.10, 6.9, 5.10, and 4.2
I can confirm that I've never seen ads like this before, nor have other contacts I've asked. Is there anything else we can try to disable this?
Note: This originally started on Skype 6.10 but has persisted across older versions upon downgrading.
Edit: How to disable the skype ads (advertisement)? fails to answer the question I have posted. This is not a duplicate. The question linked appears to target a different group of ads (promotions) and is unrelated.