I bought a brand new machine and I wanted to install Windows 8.1 on a single 4TB HDD. I want to partition the drive using the following layout:
- Drive 0 Partition 1: System Reserved - whatever the default size is, 350MB
- Drive 0 Partition 2: for Windows - 240GB
- Drive 0 Partition 3: for storage - 4TB minus 350MB minus 240GB
I cannot accomplish this. First of all, Windows Setup has split my HDD into two "Unallocated Spaces". Secondly, even if I go with this (which is not what I want nor find acceptable), it cannot format the second "Unallocated Space (1678GB)" and it shows the error
We couldn't create a new partition [Error: 0x80042468].
Then I tried taking the advice playing with DISKPART, but I got lost with MBRs and GPTs and UEFI, and I just CAN'T make my "Unallocated Spaces" become one unallocated space. Right now, I am stuck with:
- Drive 0 Partition 1: System Reserved - 350MB
- Drive 0 Partition 2: Primary - 234.8GB
- Drive 0 Unallocated Space - 1812.9GB
- Drive 0 Unallocated Space - 1678GB <- this one is not even possible to format
So, could anyone please help me start from scratch and explain the steps to accomplish what I intended in the first place? Thank you!