- Windows 8.1
- Mail app (officially "Mail, Calendar and People" app in the Microsoft Store)
- configured with Outlook.com account
User used to be able to click on attachments and they would open in the associated application.
- *.pdf files --> Adobe Reader 11.0.5
- *.docx files --> Microsoft Word 2007
- *.mp3 files --> QuickTime 7 (latest version)
As of 2 days ago, the Mail app will open PDF files, but mp3 and docx files results in the following message appearing in the Mail app above the attachment(s):
We can't open this file. Do you want to save it and try opening it with another app?
The user can save the files, browse for them and open them successfully.
Also, right-clicking the attachment provides 2 options in a drop-down list:
- Open With
If you click "Open With", the list simply disappears and nothing happens.
- I repaired Office and QuickTime. No change
- I associated mp3 files with Windows Media Player. The icon in the Mail app changed from a QuickTime logo to a Windows Media Player icon, but would not open from within Mail. No change
- I ran the Microsoft App Troubleshooter. No change
I searched for this exact error and see people have been having a similar experience since 2012. Surely there's a solution. It was working fine and works on other computers.