I need to add some things to my inputrc. I'm using bash 4, as OS I'm using debian and OSX. My terminal emulators are rxvt-unicode-256 on debian and Terminal.app on OSX. My new macbook has no Insert/Delete, Home/End, PgUp/PgDown keys...

Could you please tell me the keystroke for "Shift-Space"? I'm trying to bind this to menu-complete-backward. Shift-Tab does menu-complete, the keystroke for this is "\e[Z".

"\e[Z": menu-complete
"(Shift-Space)": "\e-1\C-i"

Then I'd like to be able to go page up/down in my terminal. I'm not sure, how to say that. E.g. in irssi I'd like to scroll up/down in my channel log. The keys "PgUp"/"PgDn" do these, but I don't have those keys on my macbook. So I'd like an alternative, like maybe "Shift-ArrowKeyUp" and "Shift-ArrowKeyDown". Also I don't know the commands for inputrc, which I have to bind to this keystroke.

Same for "Home"/"End" keys which should go to beginning-/end-of-line. I'd like to bind that to maybe "Shift-ArrowKeyLeft"/"Shift-ArrowKeyRight".

Thanks very much for your help!

EDIT: Here's my .inputrc ... http://paste.debian.net/69454/

  • I am wondering the same thing. Did you ever find the solution? – Casey Jones Nov 15 '17 at 8:29

Run od -c <<< "Ctrl+V Sequence I care about" and use that in ~/.inputrc.

  • 1
    Sorry I don't understand that? What should be in ""? – fooness Dec 5 '13 at 17:27
  • First you press Ctrl-V. Then you press the sequence you care about. – Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Dec 5 '13 at 17:28
  • 2
    That just creates "^V" (Ctrl-V) and then Spaces (Shift-Space seems just to be the same as when just pressing Space)... – fooness Dec 5 '13 at 17:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.