This question already has an answer here:
- Free way to clone HDD to SSD? [closed] 11 answers
How would you recommend backing up an entire hard drive?
I often help others perform a clean OS installation (usually Windows) or migrate to a new hard drive. I like to begin with a full disk backup, so I can later revert the entire process, retrieve individual files, preserve factory-installed diagnostics, etc. In the past, I've used some combination of
ddrescue (single step for drive, but space inefficient) or
ntfsclone for individual partitions.
- Store NTFS partitions efficiently
- Navigate partition(s) to retrieve individual files
- Preserve partition structure, MBR, etc
- Preserve factory-installed diagnostics or recovery partitions
- Restore entire image to a new hard drive
- (Optional) One-step archive