When my USB 3.0 hub is connected, my Ultrabook has start-up problems. The Windows logo appears momentarily then the screen goes black and freezes completely. If I disconnect the USB 3.0 hub and force a re-start, I'll get a BIOS prompt suggesting I start in safe mode but I can start normally and all is well. Once Windows has started, I can connect the hub and everything works fine from there.
The PC has 1 USB 2.0 port and 1 USB 3.0 port. An external USB DAC occupies the USB 2.0 port (makes noise in a hub). The USB 3.0 hub is an Anker 7-port hub (w/ 2 charging ports) and uses a separate power supply. I typically have the following devices connected to the hub: following devices attached: Logitech Unifying receiver, external HDD (my only 3.0 device), printer, and a device on one of the charge-only ports.
I've tried some troubleshooting and found the following:
- Latest USB 3.0 drivers are installed (Fresco Logic)
- Starts up okay if the hub is connected via 3.0 port but no devices are connected to hub
- Starts up okay with a device connected directly to the 3.0 port w/o the hub
- PC's charging/AC/battery status does not seem to have an affect
Here are some system specs:
- Asus UX31E
- Intel Core i5
- Windows 7 Home Premium X64