So I've been working in the computer repair biz for 5+ years now, not much is new to me.
I've got this computer, what I thought was an open and shut scenario, the original BSOD was 0x07B. Ran the appropriate hdd, failed. Mounted the drive to my workstation (Windows 7), disk management could detect the presence of the drive, can't initialize it. Good enough, confirmed bad hard drive.
So I replace the drive (brand new), reinstall the OS, all drivers, etc. Every couple of restarts the computer hangs on the vista splash screen.... the little scroller thing... something like this:
Eventually chkdsk will automatically run. It will find several items and fix them - EVERY TIME.
Additionally, when chkdsk completes, most of the time Vista will boot successfully. The performance is quite poor, intermittently unresponsive, like the OS is corrupt. When it doesn't load completely, it will blue screen - REGISTRY_ERROR:0x0000051, which also supports corruption. So obviously I suspect something else is failing.
- Ran memtest (both sticks and individually), all passed.
- HDD diags, all passed. PSU tests passed.
- Visually inspected all motherboard capacitors, no burst/bulging.
- Checked all motherboard ports for debris or obstructions, nada.
- I flashed the bios, no change.
- I removed/disconnected all non essential hardware, no change. (USBs, opticals, extra ram)
- I replaced non essential hardware with known good hardware, no change. (ram, opticals, cables, psu)
- I reinstalled the OS using a freshly burned disc.
- I even reseated the processor....lol.
Deduction tells me the only possible explanation left is that the motherboard is failing, but I've never seen such odd behavior from a failing motherboard.
Any help is good help at this point! Thanks for your time!!
P.S. I'll be active on here for the next couple hours to provide updates!