My fiancée and I used to have the same HP laptop and shared a single docking station in our home office to connect to a HDMI monitor, keyboard and mouse. I have recently upgraded to a Lenovo X1 Carbon which naturally, doesn't fit the dock any more.

I'm looking at getting a Lenovo USB 3.0 Port Replicator for home and I was wondering if there is some kind of switch I can put in place so we don't have to constantly unplug the monitor etc between the 2 docks because that's probably going to drive us both insane.

closed as off-topic by random Mar 8 '14 at 5:19

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions seeking for hardware shopping recommendations are off-topic because they are often relevant only to the question author at the time the question was asked and tend to become obsolete quickly. Instead of asking what to buy, try asking how to find out what suits your needs." – random
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


You can get an HDMI KVM. This will let you plug one monitor/mouse/keyboard into two computers.


  • 1
    Thanks very much for the quick replies. Now no need to fight over anything, at least you both know you're right and so do I! Much appreciated :-) – Eloise Feb 17 '14 at 15:16

The thing you're looking for is a KVM switch.

Both computers are plugged into the switch, from there it's plugged into the monitor. You literally switch between the 2 PC's by a switch on the box.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.