I'm pretty sure my laptop has been infected with a virus but I can't identify it or remove it.
Multiple explorer.exe processes being spawned some consuming lots of memory
When I launch IE the history shows lots of sites/pages I've never visited.
- When I shutdown I see flashes of images that look like they are from web sites filled with ads.
I'm guessing the background explorer.exe process are visiting sites to either increase views or click-thrus and to make it look like it's coming from different computers.
What I've tried:
- Downloaded CCleaner and remove temp internet files, etc
- Downloaded and run multiple anti-virus programs including McAfee, AVG, Malwarebytes and Ad-aware
- Scans have been run in both normal Windows and safe-mode.
- Most of the AV programs haven't found much. Mostly bad cookies which I think are related to the hidden browsing going on.
- AVG did find an HTML/Framer and Java/Downloader virus on first run but claimed it cleaned it and then ran clean on the next runs.
I can end the explorer.exe process from Task Manager but new spawn again. If delete all explorer.exe process then eventually I hit the real one and the task bar, etc goes away.
- I've also download Process Explorer to try and find the parent process but the parent looks like the system process:
I am reaching the point where I think a clean install is my only option but hoped there is an solution to remove this without resorting to that.