Is it possible to plug a mini pci-e card such as the BCM970015 into an ExpressCard connector? Basically I am asking if I could put a mini pci-e card inside am empty ExpressCard card without any extruding components.
Information gleaned from wikipedia suggests they might be compatible.
- mini pci-e 1/2 size: 30×26.8×[1+components]mm vs expresscard 54: 34/54×75x5mm.
- 1.5V or 3.3V
- 26 pins
- direct connection to the system bus
- USB 2.0 or PCI Express ×1 access (subset of connections provided by mini pci-e)
Edit: Clarify question.
Both Mini PCI Express and ExpressCard provide direct access to PCIe ×1 and USB 2.0, but do not provide physical PCIe ×1 or USB 2.0 connectors (I assume). Rather there is a custom connector (mini pci-e connector?), and access to which bus (PCIe or USB) depends on which pins are utilized, I assume.
I am asking two questions:
- Is the connector on the mini pci-e card compatible with the connector inside the ExpressCard slot.
- Is the connector on the mini pci-e card compatible with the connector inside the ExpressCard card.
By compatible, not only do I mean physical form-factor, electrical specification and connection/pin-out but also protocol. You can think if it as, "after plugging them together, will they just work, without any adapters".
For the record I am aware of a device such as PE3B, but am considering creating my own from a half-size mini pci-e card and a empty ExpressCard card. I've run out of mini pci-e slots in my laptop, but have a spare ExpressCard slot.
Edit: After accepting the answer, I've decided to post some useful links and notes in case anyone has similar questions.
- ExpressCard specification
- PCI Express pinout
- ExpressCard/PCI Express ×1/PCI Express Mini pinouts
- ExpressCard pintout
- ExpressCard card physical details
- When using PCI-e, make sure to pull pin#3(CP USB) low and pin#17(CP PE) high
- To support hot plugging, need a pin#13(PERST, PCIe Reset) 100ms delay circuit
- For power gating (save power), use pin#16(CLKREQ)
Purchasing empty ExpressCard card "kits"