I was looking for a device that receives my house WiFI and gives me an ethernet, if possible a very high speed WiFi, I would like to put cables everywhere but I can't actually, so this would be my solution.

Thanks in advance.

  • 1
    Pretty much all wifi routers do this... – Digital Chris Mar 31 '14 at 16:54
  • The reverse thing? to receive a current WiFi from my other router and give me ethernet connection to it? – StraightAE Mar 31 '14 at 16:55
  • This is called a USB 802.11 Wireless Adapter just purchase the adapter that supports the 802.11 mode supported by your wireless access point. – Ramhound Mar 31 '14 at 16:55
  • Please clarify your question. Please explain the actual problem you are trying to solve. Are you trying to convert an Ethernet-only device to connect via WiFi instead? – Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007 Mar 31 '14 at 16:56
  • Yes, you can set up a wifi router in bridge mode. – Digital Chris Mar 31 '14 at 16:56

What you are after is called an "AP Client" (or Access Point Client). Some routers can be run in this mode "off-the-shelf", but a better option might be to get one which can run DD-WRT and simply use that.

An AP Client (when connected to an access point or WIFI router) basically converts between WIFI and Ethernet ports - without routing packets - ie it turns your WIFI into a virtual Ethernet cable and converts it into a physical one.

For a high speed connection though, you might want to get a couple of dual band routers (configure 1 as an AP or router and one as an AP Client) and use the 5 gig band to communicate between the routers, and the 2.4 gig band for general communications for the house.

[ I do note that a repeater can be used as well, however that is going to be less efficient as it rebroadcasts signals ]

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.