Ever since I switched my normal Windows 7 user account to a limited account (for some reason the default is an admin account ◔_◔), there have been multiple
TEMP* accounts accumulating in
C:\Users. Here’s a few facts:
- The first one was simply called
TEMP, the second is named
TEMP.Foobar(where foobar is the computer name), then
TEMP.Foobar.000and so on.
- The current batch of extraneous accounts seem to all have been created the last time I rebooted (give or take a few hours).
- Some of them have a few files, some have more, and some have no files at all (just a couple of empty folders).
- The files and folders contained in the unexplained accounts don’t seem to be of much diagnostic help because they are general Microsoft/Windows stuff that any new account would likely have.
- This all definitely began after switching my main account to a limited account.
- There is only one admin-level account on the system and it already has its own directory in
- Whenever I get the UAC dialog, I enter the password for the (only) admin-level account.
- Some of them prompt for admin privileges to access their contents, some don’t.
- The first two can be deleted but the last one is in use.
- The one that is in use has locked files by the following:
- Task Manager
- LSASS which hosts the following services:
- Credential Manager
- CNG Key Isolation
- Encrypting File Sstem
- Security Accounts Manager
What information I have been able to find seems to indicate that it has something to do with creating a temporary account for elevation purposes, but that doesn’t make sense because I am using the existing admin-level account for that, so it should not be creating a new, temporary account. This is probably the reason that I cannot seem to get the Task Manager settings to stick; when I set them, they only affect the currently used admin, temporary account, but when I reboot, a new one is used, so the previous settings are lost.
This is really frustrating and I find it baffling that using a limited account would be such hard work and difficult to make work because it promotes just giving up and using a privileged account for day-to-day work.
Does anybody have any concrete information about why/where/when/how all these
TEMP accounts are being created and how to stop it? Conversely, can anyone explain why Windows keeps creating new, temporary accounts for elevating instead of using the existing admin account even though it is specifically be used?