I'm trying to decide between two home network layouts. Here are my goals that I'm trying to achieve:.
- IPv6 Support
- WAN and LAN speeds capable of handling 2-3 HD video streams (HD Netflix as an example)
- Wireless access for mobile devices, wired access for stationary devices
Commonalities Between Both Options
- 50Mbps Comcast connection (IPv6 ready)
- DOCSIS 3.0/IPv6 capable cable modem (strictly just a modem)
- Single Drop Area with Coax+Ethernet to 5 Rooms (reasonably short runs)
- Drop Area is in the basement and isn't ideal for WiFi
- CAT6 house wiring + CAT6 patch cables
- 802.11ac/IPv6 capable wireless router
- Any choice-specific device will be Gigabit speed/IPv6 capable
- Per-room Hubs/Switches will be installed if needed to support that room's wired devices
Main Coax -> 2-way Splitter -> Coax run to Central Room -> Coax Patch -> Modem -> Ethernet Patch -> WiFi Router -> Ethernet Patch -> Ethernet run back to Drop Area -> 5+ Port Switch -> 4 remaining Rooms via Ethernet runs -> Ethernet Patches -> Wired Devices
2 hops for wireless clients and clients wired into the WiFi Router. 3 hops for wired clients wired directly to a Room's Ethernet Jack. 4 Hops for wired clients in Rooms that require an addition Switch/Hub.
The Splitter's other output will go to a 4/5-way Splitter to provide TV services to the remaining rooms (can HD TV signals be split like this?).
Main Coax -> 4/5-way Splitter -> Coax Patch -> Modem -> Ethernet Patch -> 5+ Port Wired Router -> Ethernet runs to all Rooms -> Ethernet Patch in Central Room -> WiFi Router
3 hops for wireless clients and clients wired into the WiFi Router. 2 hops for wired clients wired directly to a Room's Ethernet Jack. 3 Hops for wired clients in Rooms that require an addition Switch/Hub.
The Splitter's other outputs will provide TV services to the remaining rooms
As long as Coax signal degradation isn't bad enough to sacrifice any of my goals, Choice 1 seems superior since it should be cheaper and only requires 1 routing capable device. But would it work given the Coax splits and multiple run traversals for some clients?