I have a Windows 7 SP1 x86 machine with IE10, fully patched, which has strange issues with downloads in internet explorer. Specifically, any exe (as well as others) has the period/dot/full stop replaced with an underscore. As such, a download for
Attempting to download the file will initially fail with "This file couldn't be downloaded" and any attempt to cancel, open or exit the download prompt is ignored. Retrying the download will allow it to complete successfully.
Attempting to update to IE11 fails, with a log entry in
C:\windows\IE11_main.log reporting that an attempt to download required files was unsuccessful.
- "Do not save encrypted files to disk" option is cleared (per KB2549423, applies to IE9, but has same symptoms)
- Checked operation under both Protected Mode for Internet Sites and with Protected Mode disabled
- Reset all IE settings
- Checked HTTP headers,
- Checked for addins, malware, etc... using Task Manager, MalwareBytes and autoruns
- Checked for network proxies, installed firewalls / security suites
- Checked for adequate free disk space
- Ran IE with add-ins disabled