I have a serious problem with my working station. Some time ago I bought a SSD disk. To this moment everything was ok, I had two HDD disks, copying files at speed around a 50-60 megabytes per second, no lags or performance issues. After I connect the SSD drive and reinstall system any operations on any disk is literally painful. No matter if I read data from any of disks, or write someting on it, the IOWait time pikes up to 100% CPU, whole machine freeze and data transfer is very low. The problem occurs regardless of what operations I doing and regardless of whether the SSD is involved. Even copying files from one USB pendrive to another cause massive lags. The problem did not exist until I plugged the SSD. SWAP partition is on SSD drive.
CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 BE firstname.lastname@example.orgGHz RAM: 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 (2x2 and 1x8) HDD: 500GB WD Green for storage and old 300GB Samsung for trash data SSD: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SYSTEM: elementaryOS Luna @ Ubuntu 12.04 Linux Leader 3.11.0-18-generic #32~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Feb 20 17:52:10 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
UUID=9a3aeee3-da3c-494c-81a3-0fb9a2d0b0cb / ext4 discard,noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro 0 1 UUID=64c8d0c7-a70d-4a8a-803b-472bf0f368fe /home ext4 discard,noatime,nodiratime 0 2 UUID=324b9dc2-e63d-4ffe-b77c-877470ab4492 /media/Storage ext4 noatime,nodiratime 0 0 UUID=80d15662-997b-43b0-a36e-7b63c78e6ea3 none swap discard,sw 0 0 /media/Storage/Wideo /home/galmido/Wideo none bind 0 0 /media/Storage/Obrazy /home/galmido/Obrazy none bind 0 0 /media/Storage/Muzyka /home/galmido/Muzyka none bind 0 0 /media/Storage/Zdjęcia /home/galmido/Zdjęcia none bind 0 0 /media/Storage/Pobrane /home/galmido/Pobrane none bind 0 0
This screen was taken while copying files from one HDD (500GB WD, ext4) to second one (300GB Samsung, ext2). I barely managed to do it. At the end of the copying transfer dropped to about 10 kilobytes per second and whole machine freeze for about 10 minutes.
I just remembered that the problem has significantly increased after the system update a few months ago. I did not pay too much attention what packages have been updated, but the space available on the SWAP partition increased from 10GB to 16GB according to system monitor and then this problem becomes serious. I tried to rollback kernel version to old one but with no luck.