OS: Win7 Pro x64 Laptop: Lenovo x240 Dock: Lenovo ThinkPad Basic Dock - Port Replicator Monitor 1: AOC 21.5", E2243FW (VGA) Monitor 2: Lenovo 21.5", LS2223 (DVI)
When hovering the cursor over any pinned/unpinned icon on my taskbar, the preview icon that pops up is quickly fading away (as quickly as it starts up, seemingly with the reverse animation as when it appears).
While holding Alt and pressing Tab to cycle through open applications, the window of icons will disappear (and if I continue to hold Alt and press Tab again, the window will reappear and will start me back at the first icon).
This problem will "randomly" not happen after rebooting and then will begin happening again.
Attempts to resolve:
- Fully run the Windows and ThinkVantage System Updates
- Removed all unnecessary peripherals (keyboard, external CD drive, ect)
- Changed Visual Effects from "Let Windows choose what's best for my computer" to "Adjust for best performance", as well as Custom (all unchecked, and tried solely checking "Save taskbar thumbnail previews")
- Used one monitor at a time (tried both monitors separately). Lowered the resolution and refresh rate of each monitor. Removed all external monitors.
- Used the laptop completely removed from the dock and external peripherals
I have seen some registry tweaks that can extend hover time which, as you can imagine, I'm hoping to steer clear of having to make any changes like this. No other Windows 7 machines I've used have had this issue.
My guess is that an application isn't stealing Window's focus since I'm able to leave the Start menu up for an infinite amount of time without it minimizing.
Edit: I notice the amount of time icon previews stay visible varies - they could last 3 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 second, half a second, ect.