I want to access by termin a Windows share so on my Ubuntu 14.04 system I executed the following command:

sudo mount.cifs -o username=dana //  /mnt/

After entering the sudo password and the windwos user password I got these error

mount error(13): Permission denied Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

4 Answers 4


Make sure your account has permissions to mount. Use smbclient to try to access the drive - the smbclient command will give much more meaningful error messages why you cannot mount.

For example:

smbclient \\machinename\foldername -U [username] [password]

If it works, you will get an smb prompt like:


If not, you will get an error, such as NT_LOGON_FAILUIRE (password wrong) or if the login works but you do not have access on that folder, it will give you that error (which I can't recall off the top of my head)

Check here for info on smbclient and smbclient syntax:
Mounting Windows Shares On Linux Using Samba/CIFS/SMBFS


mount(8) - Linux man page

Return Codes
mount has the following return codes (the bits can be ORed):
0: success
1: incorrect invocation or permissions
2: system error (out of memory, cannot fork, no more loop devices)
4: internal mount bug
8: user interrupt
16: problems writing or locking /etc/mtab
32: mount failure
64: some mount succeeded

This suggest that you have generated 3 errors:

  1. user interrupt
  2. internal mount bug
  3. incorrect invocation or permissions

First thing always check if user has access to share and not only permissions to folder also use domain option and use -v to check debug messages.


use this for mounting Windows share to your local Linux machine:

sudo apt-get install cifs-utils
sudo mount -t cifs //hostname.your.windows.machine.hostname/Your_Share /home/user/shares/hostname/ -o vers=3.0,username=user,domain=hostname,uid=1000

Hope it's help.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.