Details leading up to problem:
- I have about 3 year old second hand laptop.
- I experience two hard drive realted bluescreens, BBCode 7a, within the last month.
- I ran Chkdsk and found I have 4 unreadable file record segments.
- The unreadable hard drive section may be due to the laptop being dropped before I owned it. There is a physical section of the case missing from the corner of the laptop, so I assume that it was dropped (physically dropped and hit the ground) at some point before I owned it.
- I recently ran across two websites that had some nasty popups that would not close. One website I just ctrl + alt + del and ended my browser process to avoid closely pop-ups. The other time I was lazy and actually closed off the pop-ups.
Recently my computer was on for about two days. I was playing an online flash based video game and I had the image manipulation program G.I.M.P. opened in the background. All of a sudden my cursor started clicking and moving in random place on it's own. A few windows were being minimized or resized as well. It all seemed to stem from random cursor movement and clicks and not keystrokes. Sometimes the windows would resize without the cursor appearing to move. The cursor still moved at random even after I unplugged my usb mouse.
Has my computer been remotely accessed? Was this a virus? Was this due to the computer being on too long? The damaged hard drive? Or something else?
I have never experienced anything like this before and I'm worried. Any help would be appreciated.
- I ran a malwarebytes scan after the incident. In normal mode the scan would start, but then it would fail and say "scan not running". In safe mode the scan finished and showed zero (malware) results detected.
- Upon reboot, the computer seemed fine, no moving cursor or random clicking, even while being connected to the internet. However, this could simply mean that if someone was accessing my computer prior that they have just taken a break for the moment.
(Running Windows 7)