The thermal paste in my laptop's CPU's heat sink kind of looks like a thermal pad. I'm little confused about what it is, and if I should clean it off...here is an image of the thermal paste or pad and the CPU:

heat sink


  • 1
    It's a thermal paste pad; unless it's dried out you really should not replace it – Ramhound Aug 16 '14 at 18:56
  • Thermal paste would barely cover the chip and would be much thinner. This is a thermal pad. – Hennes Aug 16 '14 at 18:59
  • I cleaned out the center of the (thermal-pad ? thermal-paste-pad?) because I thought I could put my mx-2 in there...but I guess not...Which is it? A thermal-pad or a thermal-paste-pad? – leeand00 Aug 16 '14 at 19:03
  • Now that you removed the heat sink, it’s imperative to replace the paste/pad/mystery goo. Otherwise, proper heat dispersal cannot be guaranteed. Only when you remove it immediately after applying new paste can you mount it again without replacing the paste. – Daniel B Aug 16 '14 at 19:54

It is a thermal pad, now you need to remove it and clean all the cooper and the micro. Then you can use another thermal pad that fits or simply put a bit of thermal paste (like one grain of rice) on the microprocessor.

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.