I want to use my static IP when I'm far away of my network / router. Like to make it portable. I'm not sure how to achieve this. Maybe through a vpn or proxy server? What's the simplest way to achieve this? Thanks.
In my opinion VPN is best solution.
- Make sure if VPN server can work on your internet connection (at home). Some providers may have routers without VPN Passthrough and VPN server cannot work behind that kind of router. It's very rare to see router without it used by internet provider.
- Buy VPN router (if you dont have it).
- Configure your VPN on router (this may be more or less complicated, some routers have simple creators for VPN configurations)
- Configure your VPN on device (laptop?), use static IP inside VPN network or configure router to assign same IP
- Configure port redirection on router. You can use only port redirections, you cannot use whole IP because it must handle VPN incoming connections.
If what you are trying to do is access your PC from a remote location then I suggest TeamViewer http://www.teamviewer.com - works on Windows, OSX, iOS and Android - free for commercial use. I am not affiliated with TeamViewer; I am a satisfied customer.
You do not have any guarantee that your modems IP address will not change unless your ISP provides that guarantee (usually only if you pay more). That said it "tends" to stay the same for long periods of time. You can use port forwarding to a SINGLE machine on your network to do what you asked. It is kind of a pain but not overly complex (Kamil's answer addresses this). Repost if you want to know more about this (it would be helpful to know what kind of router and modem you have as well as your ISP).