Fugured it out!
1) subscribe to the upgraded service...even if it's just for a month the $3 is totally worth it. You can cancel after a month.
2) In OneNote open the note that you want to move to EverNote. Go to File > Share > message.
3) Send it to your EverNote email. Find this in your online EverNote account. At the bottom of the left column click on the "i" and open Settings and then Account Summary. Scroll down to find it under "Email Notes to".
4) copy the address and send yourself a test message. It should populate into your main notebook (mine did take a couple of minutes the first time)
5) the "document kept its original formatting, colors, etc and is editable!! Woohoo!
I DO understand that this process is a bit laborious but you can bang out a bunch pretty fast...AND, as an added bonus I was able to delete a bunch of stuff that I really didn't need to keep, and i initially only moved docs that are active....all depends what your commitment is as to if it is worth it to you. A batch dump would really just make too much sense, right?
It seems that the folks at Microsoft are never really that interested in giving Mac users the same quality and functionality that is available on the PC...this is why I am migrating to EverNote. Cost be damned.
Hope this helps!