All of a sudden a couple days ago, my Chrome browser (v. 37, on Win7 desktop) stopped working. It just displays the "Google Dinosaur" with the message "Unable to connect to the Internet" (Error code: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET). However, IE and Firefox have no problems. Also, another computer on my home network has no problems with Chrome, which rules out any router issues. I have tried:
- rebooting the computer
- resetting Chrome (deleting all Content & Cookies; restoring all default browser settings)
- launching Chrome with no extensions, as well as in incognito mode
- disabling all extensions manually
- uninstalling and re-installing Chrome
- temporarily disabling my virus protector (Microsoft Security Essentials)
- typing in IP addresses directly
- Command Prompt (Run as Admin):
netsh winsock reset(+ Restart)
- Clear the host cache (in chrome://net-internals/#dns)
- growling fiercely at the computer
Nothing helped. (Except the last one, which made me feel slightly better, but didn't resolve the issue). Any other suggestions?
UPDATE: I just realized that I can't even access my router using Chrome (typing the direct IP address), although, again, IE and FF have no problems there either.
UPDATE #2: After following the suggestion to Clear the Host Cache, the cache list began populating with several entries (all **.google.com sites) with this note in the Address field:
error: -137 (ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED) (a problem which was discussed, though not solved, recently). I assume it is all part of the same underlying problem.
UPDATE #3: As @FredsBend's link pointed out, this is a known (and apparently widespread) issue that is being tracked and investigated by the fine folks at Chromium. Star the bug at crbug.com/399968 to get notified of a fix.