I see many questions regarding copying large files over a network, for example How to better copy&paste big files over RDP?, but I'm asking a slightly different thing. Also, not involving remote desktop.
My work colleague and I are on the same domain, same network, and perhaps same subnet (don't know much about networking, but he's a few cubicles away from me, if that helps) We are transferring a large folder (about 20GB total, largest file size is 16GB) from him to me.
For the purposes of this question, let's assume:
- We have identical hardware, running Win7 64-bit
- Our PCs are essentially idle during transfer
- We are using Windows' native Copy/Paste (no 3rd party tools)
Now, which is faster:
- I 'pull' the folder from his shared folder into my local folder, or
- He 'pushes' the folder from his local folder into my shared folder, or
- Both options are actually the same?