I have a three floor home with the basement about to be finished.
Here is my issue: I want a hard line to the basement as my wifi doesn't quite get there, and the basement will be the new entertainment room. My cable connection/router is in my office.
- High Speed connectivity to my basement
- 3-4 open ports in the basement for direct access (entertainment center, TV, Xbox, etc)
- Open line for potential home network access
So my question is:
- Do I keep a switch in my office, or run it to the basement? If in the basement, do I only need to run one wire from my router to the switch downstairs, or do I need 4 separate wires?
- Can I have a home network running on the same switch, or do I need something separate there too?