Ok, I took it a step further and just developed my own sound theme. It's a bunch of WAV files and a reg file... anyone who might delight in their PC sounding "super-high-tech" may help themselves... (for Windows XP/Vista/7)
CSI - "Computer Sounds Integration"
I thought it would be fun to create a sound theme that made my machine sound like something from the set of CSI. With some inspiration from Nullsoft Beep and http://www.dewa.com/sound (admittedly, some of the sounds are modified versions of sounds available on dewa.com) I cranked up my audio editor and began synthesizing some sounds.
The result was a sound theme for Windows XP/Vista/7 that provides Hollywood-style sound effects for your computer.
- Download the CSI.zip file
- Extract the CSI folder as a subfolder in your C:\Windows\Media folder.
- Double click the "CSI Sound Scheme.reg" registry file and import the CSI registry settings
- Open Control Panel and go to the Sound applet
- Choose CSI as your sound scheme
- Enjoy! (I'm a FF user, but the sounds are better with IE)
If your Windows folder is not C:\Windows, open the reg file in a text editor and do a global replace of "C:\\Windows" with the appropriate path to your Windows folder. Be sure to include the double backslashes.