I bought a case, and it has the standard array of 5.25" 3.5" and a single 2.5" drive bays. It ALSO has a single 5.25" bay, however this bay is about HALF the height of a regular drive bay. What would go in here? The only thing I can think of would be a notebook drive or something, but holding my laptop to it, the drive in my laptop is wider. Is there a name for this odd half-height 5.25" bay?

Here is a listing. It lists the full size bays, but not the smallish one. The very top piece pops out and has brackets to hold something.


  • 3
    Can you link to the case? – Canadian Luke Oct 24 '14 at 22:08
  • 3
    ...and/or post a picture of the bay? – cpast Oct 24 '14 at 22:10
  • My hunch is that it's for a slim optical (cd/dvd) drive. – yoonix Oct 24 '14 at 22:10

It's just a slimline 5.25 inch bay, sometimes refered to as a 12.7mm bay; they are mostly for dvd/cd burners like this one. You can buy adapter products to divide a normal 5.25 inch bay into 2 slimline bays like this one.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Some USB/Audio/Firewire, etc port panels are offered in half height (slim) – Dave M Oct 25 '14 at 18:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.