My problem is - I am unable to delete/uninstall/overwrite all folders and files inside of 'Program Files' in my storage E: drive, my operating system is installed in C: drive.
I've read posts of similar problems from here and other forums and I have tried everything and nothing seems to have had any effect.
- I am an administrator
- I have UAC disabled
- I have total control over all files and folders in C: and every other folder in E: including Program Files (x86) so its only in E:\Program Files where I don't have control
- I can create folders inside of Program files but when i try to delete them I get an error message :
you require permission from administrators to make changes to this folder. Some folders/files say instead that I require permission from SYSTEM.
- When I try and cut a New Folder I just created in program files it says it can't be completed because its open in another program.
- I have installed 'Take Control' right click function and tried that function on various files and folders within program files including program files itself. This only gives error message:
Access is denied.
- In program files properties all accounts have full control except Users which only have read + execute, list folder contents and read permissions
- I have tried program files right click, properties, security, advanced and anything I try and change in these options gives the error message: U
nable to save permission changes on Program Files. Access is denied
- I am unable to tick the boxes to 'include inheritable permissions....' and replace all child object permissions...
- I am unable to edit anything in program files properties, security, edit, when I try change the owner to someone else it says an error occurred while applying security information :
unable to set
- Also I'm not sure if its related but I am unable to update to the latest version of itunes or anti malware bytes which are installed in E:\Program Files.
- I have also tried running cmd.exe as admin and the whole
takeown /f /r /athing just says access is denied unless I am typing it in wrong, the instructions I found on this website in another post were kind of confusing. I structured it as:
C:\takeown /f "E:\Program Files" /r
- I also tried
C:\takeown /f "E:\Program Files"and
C:\takeown /r "E:\Program Files"
I feel like perhaps I didn't follow one of the steps properly even though I have been relentlessly trying to solve this and have explored seemingly all possible solutions. I am knowledgeable with computers but not when it comes to registry editing and advanced command prompt rules etc.
Please help me! Any advice is greatly appreciated!