I think that's what I want, but I can't seem to figure out the right Google term. My problem is that we have acquired a number of wi-fi devices and have friends come by with wi-fi devices and there is insufficient reception in our living room. Even a wi-fi booster was unable to help. Because I have a wired star topology, I don't want to move the router to the living room. (I'd have to add another ethernet cable back to the attic to do that anyway.) I could use two routers, but then I have two subnets and my printer and LAN storage would be on one or the other subnet.

Shorter description:

I have a hub in the living room now and all the wired devices are using the router's dhcp to get connected. Is there such a thing as a hub that does wi-fi, too? What do you call such a thing? It isn't "wi-fi hub" and there is no obvious (to me) configuration of my spare routers that wind up getting them to act like such a beast.

I hope this makes sense :)

  • You should look at those devices that carry a signal through the wiring in your house, rather than wifi if wifi signals aren't strong enough. I had a similar problem, upgraded, and have MUCH faster speeds. You could also hook up the router on the other end if wifi is a must.
    – Eric F
    Oct 29, 2014 at 20:02
  • iPad and Kindle do not even have a wired connection, and I have guests who want to use WiFi on their cells. It seems my old routers, however, do not support "access point mode".
    – Bruce
    Nov 1, 2014 at 21:05

1 Answer 1


You can use a combination of two wireless routers (or one if it supports being in AP and bridge mode, as explained here). One would be in bridge mode and the other would be linked to the router and function as an access point. So you'd have something like:

Regular AP ))) Bridge AP-->Regular AP ))) ...sorry about the bad representation, but the ))) represents wireless, --> is wired.

Edit: You can also use a repeater to good effect that essentially acts as a wireless "switch" and does much like a bridge/ap combo would do.

  • The magic phrase I needed was "wireless access point", but setting up one of my old wireless routers in "bridge mode" is a new phrase, too. So if bridge mode can't be gotten to work, I need to look for a "wireless access point"! Thank you.
    – Bruce
    Oct 29, 2014 at 20:15
  • Desired config: Modem --> Router --> Bridged Router AP ))) devices
    – Bruce
    Nov 1, 2014 at 21:07

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .