Is there a way I can have persistent access to the special characters above the numeric keys? I'm thinking something akin to the CAPS LOCK key but that locks the numeric keys to the equivalent Shift + number combination. For example when I press the 3 key I would get a # instead. I'm not looking to install any 3rd party software for this, but rather I'm looking for some function built-in to either all keyboards or the OS.

  • ..What OS are you using? – Raystafarian Nov 6 '14 at 16:19
  • 2
    If you are using Windows sounds like someone might actually get to use from StickyKeys. Once enabled hit shift twice to lock shift. Tested on Windows 7 x64 – Matt Nov 6 '14 at 16:25
  • @Matt I've been nothing but annoyed by StickeyKeys but this sounds like a legitimate use. Usually I just end up trying to brainstorm and forget I'm in mid-sentence holding down <kbd>Shift</kbd> and spend the next 5 mins trying to turn it off. – Joel B Nov 6 '14 at 16:51
  • @Raystafarian - Windows. Updated tags accordingly. – Joel B Nov 6 '14 at 16:53

On Windows, you can enable ease of access functions to allow toggling status for SHIFT or CONTROL.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.